Nexans achieves a European First for its CAT.6/CLASS E Cabling Solution
Paris, February 22, 2001 � Nexans has achieved a European first by being the only manufacturer in Europe to have its Cat.6/Class E cabling solution certified by two world-renowned International Delta EC/3P certification laboratories.
Nexans was the first manufacturer to produce a crossed Cat. 6 cable capable of eliminating diaphonic effects, which is now in commercial use by a large number of cable producers. Another first is the LANmark 6 connector - the first connector with real Cat.6 performance, which has also been certified by the same bodies.
This makes Nexans the only manufacturer to guarantee Cat 6/Class E performance on a �Channel� with 4 RJ45-based connections, ranging from user equipment (PC, telephone, printer, video) to active switching equipment, PABX, video, etc., while allowing more flexible zonal distribution for users.
In addition, Nexans Class E LANmark solution requires the use of less complex active equipment, because it is less sensitive to external interference, and is therefore more economical (see note to editors).
The Cat 6/Class E solutions are adapted to all European user requirements, with non-armoured (UTP), screened (FTP) and armoured (S-FTP/STP) solutions on PVC or halogen-free cables which guarantee the durability, performance and safety of the investment while giving the user an incomparable choice of solutions.
In 2001 Nexans expects to achieve European sales, representing 20%, of the emerging Cat.6 market. This success follows on the heels of the standards committee (ISO) considering as standard Nexans� proposal concerning the future Cat.7 connector. Nexans guarantees 100% compatibility with the RJ45 connectors used at present.
Note to Editors
In order to optimise users� investments, Nexans presents a complete range of LAN cabling solutions based on a realistic view of future technical upgrades.
The applications offered on the networks are evolving daily, with a substantial increase in traffic, which is developing constantly in terms of both volume and speed.
Companies� requirements in Internet applications, video conferencing, e-commerce, data centralization and IP telephony are expanding rapidly. Consequently, controlling investment is becoming more and more complex and strategic for companies.
A 100 Megabit Fast Ethernet port costs 365 euros (excluding the cost of the server and communications lines) with 41% of the price going on the electronics (NIC Card).
More than 75% of users will be equipped with a Gigabit infrastructure within the next 3 years. A Gigabit Ethernet port (1000 T Base) as defined today, for operation on Class D cabling, costs 1,650 euros, 85% of which is the electronic cost.
Gigabit Ethernet is complex to set up. In fact, the integrated circuit used has around 1 million gates, 50% of which are destined exclusively for echo correctors (�echo chancellers�), 30% are used for the 12 crosstalk equalisers and only the remaining 20% are intended for the actual processing of the signal (5-level encoding). This means that more than 70% of the price of the installations serves only to protect the Class D cabling infrastructure.
The quality of transmission is fundamental since one of the critical elements is the bit error rate (B.E.R.). Data collision, which is amplified in overloaded networks, the electromagnetic environment, marginal cabling and active equipment are all factors which may alter the reliability of a network if they are not properly controlled.
Nexans optimises the error rate by making the network less sensitive to external factors, and offers a Class E LANmark solution requiring active equipment that is less complex and hence less costly.
Nexans has set up a specially trained distribution and installer network (C.S.I.) which is fully conversant with users� expectations and current technological developments.
Informacje, katalogi, broszury
Formed from Alcatel Cables and Components, Nexans is a worldwide leader in the cable industry. Nexans product portfolio includes an extensive range of cables and systems. Nexans solutions can be found in every area of people's lives, from telecommunications and energy networks, to aeronautics aerospace, automobile, building, petrochemical and medical applications. Operating in 20 countries, Nexans employs 19,000 people and had sales in 2000 of euros 4.8 billion. More information on www.nexans.com